German-Iranian teen behind Munich shootings22 Jul 2016 01:0022 Jul 2016 01:00
Police say a German-Iranian teenager was behind a mass shooting at a Munich shopping centre and acted alone before killing himself.
Police in Germany have given a ‘cautious all-clear’ following a mass shooting at a Munich shopping centre
At least nine victims have died. More than 20 were injured, including three critically
The suspect was an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual national who lived in Munich
He is believed to have been acting on his own and killed himself. His motive is “completely unclear”, say police
Young people and “adolescents” are among the dead, and children are among those injured
By John Harrison and Stephen Robb
Send a text to 61124
Send an email to HaveYourSay@bbc.co.uk
Live updates ending for night
Posted at 02:30
Officers in Munich
So, to recap:
In the last hour police in Munich have said the suspect in the shopping mall shootings is an 18-year-old German-Iranian national. He had been living in Munich for some time and acted alone, before killing himself.
Nine victims are dead, including “adolescents”, police say. Twenty people remain injured, including three people who have life-threatening injuries.
Police say “the motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear”.
Earlier, shooting began at about 18:00 (16:00 GMT) on Friday. Witnesses said the attacker opened fire on members of the public in Hanauer Street, near a branch of McDonald’s, before he moved to the nearby Olympia shopping centre.
Some 2,300 police officers were deployed and a manhunt was launched, as the Bavarian capital’s transport system was suspended and the central railway station was evacuated.
The body of the suspect was found about 1km (0.6 miles) from the Olympia shopping centre in the north-western suburb of Moosach.
We are now halting our live coverage for the night.
Please continue to follow our main news story, which can be found here.
Share this post on
Read more about these links.